For the DBN battle I decided to contract another table for the battle. I used the Shako Scenario Book to design the table from that map.
For this DBN battle we changed the scale so that each unit were battalions. So I was able to increase the size of the village and forest area to give us a better historical feel. So this is a 2 x 4 foot table constructed just for this event at the CSGA/CMH 2013 throwdown.
So I built the usual frame using a 2 x 4 MDF board for the bottom and 1" x 2" boards for the frame. I used #6 1 1/4 inch wood screws to secure the frame. So I end up with a framed box with 2 inch sides. I purchased some blue insulation foam from Lowes. I purchased a 1 1/2" sheet and a 1/2" sheet. The 1/2 inch sheet was glued to the bottom. I then added a few foam pieces in on corner to give the next sheet some angle.
I next glued the 1 1/2" sheet (of course cut a little shy of 2' x 4'). You have to take into consideration the frame. I used a foam cutter for all the foam cuts by the way. I let the foam sheets bond overnight with books weighing it all down. Then I added my hill and Village pieces and a few more small pieces to provide some curves in the surface.
The next steps are captured in the pictures below.
|I taped it off with painters tape and cut out the Plaster Cloth. I also gouged out the |
stream in the foam before this step.
|Then with a water bottle shot sections of the cloth and smoothed out the plaster over the |
contours of the board.
|Doesn't that look great?! Already has color, nice hard surface that has natural |
texture to it. It goes on like thick mud or concrete. And don't forget to use Surgical gloves!
|So here I am trying to size the area for Plancenoit. And I know there are many |
renditions of what this board should look like but we wanted to keep it simple and
not difficult to play with DBN rules.
|Gave the road a darker brown color as well as the stream. Then I added water.|
|The water stuff takes overnight to harden completely. I added some rock to the bottom |
of the stream.
|I would have loved to leave it the way it dried but I had to add flocking. I brushed on |
the water, white glue and a drop of dish soap solution to the non road, river or village surfaces
in sections. Then I dusted each section with flocking.
|After the first layer was set I then sprayed the same solution from a water bottle over |
the entire board. I did that twice to make sure the flock would stay in place.
|Almost ready. View from Prussian right flank. You can see I painted the |
sides of the table dark brown.
|View from Prussian left flank.|
|Trimmed up the green walls and hot glued them down.|
|Prussian and French in the thick of it around Plancenoit.|